Thursday, May 16, 2013

Help! I'm Married but I'm in Love with Someone Else, Google Plus - May 2013

Let me start off by saying that I love my wife dearly and my two little boys. They are my world, wtihout them I have no reason to do what I do...and what do I do??? Well that's another story. Right now, I am blogging. The reason I blog is partly b/c I am falling in love again. With who you ask? Well, with Google Plus of course.

Over the past few weeks I have fully immersed myself into this amazingly great place that people call Google Plus. Ok, it's 2 years old, and I am late to the party, but here people don't care what time you arrive, they just want you to bring something unique to the party. Here everyone says "hi" to each other, and there aren't any circles of popularity. Ok, fine, there are plenty of circles, but just b/c you're in a ton, doesn't mean you take the "I'm too cool for school" approach like big wigs on other social platforms. Here it's based on the merit and value you add that gets you places. You don't even need to go places to get there, that's what's amazing about G+, you're already there, and you know where there is? It's right here. Make sense??? Good. You can just sit in your office or house, click the start Hangout button and BAM, there you are, conversing live via video chat w/other real people. Not some avatar that has 100,000 followers and says they guarantee to followback. Follow back??...How about a real conversation, good luck.

Whether it's business, science, poetry, linguistics, technology, food, aerospace, children books...it's all there and it's all available right at your fingertips. No more disparate apps to click on this to get to that. It's all centrally located right on G+. What can I say, it's a great place to be and I have only been active for about 2-3 months. 

What makes G+ so great is other people feel the same sense of social responsibility that you feel. They all had to start somewhere, they all realize that it takes time, quality interactions and just a good sense of social etiquette to make progress. Whatever your goals are, you can find people who are on the same page right there on G+. Possibly even literally on the same page...do jokes translate well on blogs? I hope so...or else this party just got really awkward. 

+Bruce Marko told me that Hemingway said to write the truth, write the truest sentence you know, that really is all you need to do. This quote epitomizes the true idea of Google Plus. It is saying that in order to succeed you just need to be you and represent truth. I have been tentative when it has came to writing in the past b/c I have always considered myself a "talker" and not a writer. However, after this past weekend, I feel like Neo tapping into the Matrix. (Thank you +J.C. Kendall for that one). I am in tune with the raw energy that is making me feel more complete. The connections being forged on G+ is breathing new life into me and allowing me to press into uncharted territory. Here's a little more about why everyone should abandon ship (or at least prepare to disembark) on other networks in favor of Google Plus w/another little serendipitous interaction.

Last week I circled a woman named +Diana Studer, I can't honestly say why, but I did. (I am very glad I found you Diana) Diana and I had chatted earlier that day, she from Cape Town, me from Chicago. I mean how cool is that in itself?  She mentioned my name in a conversation occurring, and when I got there it was almost as if I was ravenously waiting to jump in on what surely looked like a tasty little nugget of conversation. Being that I have 2 very young kids and it was Friday night, I had fatherly responsibility to attend to and being relatively impatient, I wanted to hit this conversation and drop my 2 cents in the comment piggy bank.

+David Amerland started a thread where +Marisa Goudy had made an offbeat comment (yes, back to the comment heard round the (G+) world) and for me it was off to the races. I got to interact w/all kinds of people, most of whom were not in my circles so it was a pleasure adding more quality to my stream. We had cameos from some pretty big firepower and spoke about all kinds of amazing things. It was like Haight & Ashbury in the 60's, things were happening man...(Here is the thread) The point is, that I met some amazing people and I am forever changed. 

One person was +Paul Stickland. It wasn't until Sunday night that I posted a picture taken w/my GS3 that this small world circled back onto itself. Keep in mind, I am a photographer, but have never considered using my phone to shoot photographs. I will say the GS3 is a beast at taking stills and I was impressed enough to post a shot or two, and diverging here for a second, someone from the mobile photography community +Robinson Olivar, Jr told me it was decent and I should look into their community. How on earth are there THOUSANDS of people that shoot amazing pictures w/their smart phones...I don't know...by I do now, and I'm back on the photography train. Just like that, my passion is reignited so thank you Robinson for bringing me back into the loving arms of photography.

Back to Paul, Paul was a part of the master the thread above and we crossed a path or two. That was the first and up till then, only time we interacted. However, Sunday I posted that pic, and he gave it a +1 and commented. He showed me a picture he took which was awesome and again let the engaging begin. Back and forth, back and forth. 8:45 pm for me 1:45am for him. Never would have known we weren't talking to each other in person. After all is said and done, I find out Paul was married and broadcast his wedding on G+, found his photographer on G+ ( +Lord Parker) and has been active for 2 years. He's a strong Gplusser. He also writes children's books. That's appropriate b/c I have 2 of those small people. 
Long story short (or is it actually a long story long?) I told my wife about this the next morning and she looks at some of Paul's illustrations of dinosaurs and says "Hang on a second". She then comes back w/one of Paul's books. I couldn't believe it. This was too much but all too real. I had randomly found an author of a book in my house from a guy who I met 2 days ago (who lives 4000 miles away). It was inspiring to say the least. This is the power of Google Plus people, are you ready for it? 

That is why I love Google Plus. Where else could I connect w/an author who has sold millions of books or speak to a man who has been in 6 countries in 10 weeks or a guy who lives in FL that I would have never ever met but now feel a unique bond has been forged. Only on Google Plus folks. That's why I'm in love...I find it hard to think that such passion is evoked from other social networks...it just doesn't happen. If it does happen, I would love to hear about it in the comments. I would love to know if you love Google Plus and why...what are your thoughts about this burgeoning new platform? Only time will tell us the results in the battle over people's social media time but Google is now running in the race and it will be hard to pass them up. 


Michlin Metals is a Woman Owned Small BusinessAerospace Metal and Stainless Steel Distributor. Follow Michlin on Twitter @MichlinMetalsFacebookLinkedIn, Google+ or on the Web at www.michlinmetals.com. More on the author on Google+

No comments:

Post a Comment