Thursday, May 9, 2013

Social Media in 2013 (thus far): What I've learned, Who I've met and the impact it's had on Michlin Metals

Thus far I am confident in saying that 2013 has been the most trans-formative year for me in regards to social media yet. Computers are nothing new to me, I was born in late 1980 and had my first PC at age 4 -5 (This stunning Tandy 1000).

From there I never skipped much time from upgrade to upgrade and advanced right alongside with technology. I had a cell phone in '94 and my first digital camera in '98. So I have always loved and embraced  the newest (and most fun) technology. Then along came social media in the early 2000s. I was just leaving college and entering the real world. At that point, being in its infancy, social media had yet to take on the dominant and main stream role that it plays across the board today.

Having an affinity for all things tech and being an overall social guy myself, I got on Facebook and like most other people in the real world, I wasn't seeing a ton of inherent value for business though. So when twitter came around I slept on it for a while. I still technically don't have a personal twitter account but I'm covered through my Michlin account b/c I tweet mainly about what's important to me and how that impacts business today. Around 3 years ago, I switched jobs and came over to Michlin Metals. I redesigned the website and got connected with all the social media platforms so I could put those cool buttons on my page, you know, that way people know I'm social right? (as if that's all it took) I'd broadcast a single post daily through Facebook to Twitter & LinkedIn and thought that was being social (I didn't even shorten the links). Boy was I mistaken.

So along comes February 2013, my sister-in-law and her boyfriend (they have a dog, it's serious) come and visit. She's an IP & Patent attorney and he is a co-founder of a venture capital outfit both in San Francisco. After spending the weekend at my house and talking w/them I knew I had to change how I played the game. If these 2 incredibly smart people can be so heavily involved in technology and make lives from this, I had to alter my thinking and begin applying myself differently.

That's when I started learning what social media really is and how it can impact the bottom line in business today. Granted there is a ton of hype surrounding return on investment (ROI) in social media today and that's understandable. Here we all are, in the middle of the day reading a blog post (I hope) and it's probably completely acceptable. Just a few years ago, I know my boss would have been angry if he saw me "messing around" on the internet, AGAIN. Those thoughts still exist but are becoming less prevalent as the true impact of social makes itself known in business.

After becoming completely ingratiated in twitter (Let's say, post the catalytic tech weekend early Feb) I've taken Michlin's twitter follower base from 309 to now almost 1300. Not a bad 3 months, but this isn't a brag session, it's (leading to) a discussion about the amazing real connections I have made in the last 3 months and the impact that's had on Michlin Metals. So, after getting twitter tightened up, I kept getting this nagging feeling that a door was open and there was a draft coming in. I could either close the door completely (like most people and not let any new technology in) or I could open it up and embrace yet another social media platform.

Well, we all know what happened next. I decided to open the door and let Google Plus into my life and I haven't been the same since. The following is a list and a synopsis of some of the people who have touched my life thus far on my short lived Google Plus journey. Also, what keep in mind the journey IS the destination.

Google Plus, like most new technologies is highly intimidating to most normal people. However, there is always a distinct group of early adopters that join in and make it so that the second responders (people like me) can take advantage of a still wide open platform before the rest of the bell curve adopts and it goes fully mainstream. Some of those people that have impacted me have been the following: (in no particular order but a little order based on relevance and when I stumbled upon them)

Now anyone familiar to Google Plus will probably know all of these people and anyone not familiar, if I were you, I would circle them now (but not right this second, finish reading...comment, then circle them)

First, a young man (I'm 32, is that condescending?) named +Jesse Wojdylo. This guy is a genius, first and foremost, and I feel he has given me a great gift. Enlightenment. I joined his weekly Twitter chat (#GooglePlusChat Tuesdays 1pm CST) and started to meet a couple other great people. After I chatted for a few weeks I began to feel more at home and less tentative. It was my first real twitter chat experience where not only did I participate, but I did it in a matter which reflected myself...(this gets to the heart of social, being yourself, engaging and connecting on a personal level) That has since opened the door for further communications.

Last week Jesse and I did a hangout and spoke for about an hour. It was a great hour for me. I learned that I can connect with people through real life experiences that relate to business. It doesn't just have to be dry, mundane, boring metal stuff that no one cares about. I can make it HUMAN, people connect with all things human b/c we are emotional beings and make decisions (sometimes) based on emotions. He in essence fixed my flawed thinking about how connections are made on the web...I thought I could only get link backs from my customers or suppliers (neither of which have worked out yet). If I write to connect with people, as opposed to just broadcasting about "industry info" then people will respond as such. Blogging is about connecting with likeminded people whether in or out of your industry. They are people first, then business people. So thank you Jesse for continuing to show me the light. I truly am grateful for finding you and look forward to hanging out again soon.

+martin shervington is up next on the docket. Talk about genius. This guy has enabled the world to share in his Google plus awesomeness! He has created a full library of Google Plus resources. From Posts and Communities to Hangouts and Circle Management, Martin has taken what can only be described as a mountain of information and sliced it up into little easy to consume bite size portions. Here is a link to his site, take the time to familiarize yourself w/Martin, it will pay off in spades. Martin was kind enough to invite me to my first HOA as a participant, which has dramatically increased my thirst for more HOAs. I am excited to start making Videos for Michlin and thanks to Martin that is just a little easier.

Next is +Mark Traphagen. Is there another word I can use for Genius? How's Exceedingly Gifted? This man has been instrumental in getting me (along w/countless other thousands of people) up to speed with Google Plus and Authorship. It is both good and bad that there aren't a ton of metals people on G+. Good b/c Michlin is staking its claim, bad b/c there isn't much in the form of engagement from industry peers. However, I look at another good thing that far outweighs the lack of industry people on G+, and that's having my Authorship set up. Thanks to Mark, I am now (most likely) THE ONLY person who has this set up in my industry. Weird since metal sales probably surpasses a Trillion dollars annually...but you know what? I'll take it!!!! Early Adopter status for me in the Steel Industry! So, if you ever need Monel 400 Round Bar, you should see my face (only) pop up on the SERP (Search Engine Results Page). Thanks again Mark for blazing the path towards Google Plus greatness and allowing others to easily follow suit.

Another along the list of great minds on G+ is +Mike Allton. Mike was kind enough to take some time out of his day and talk me through some website conversion issues Michlin is currently facing. Mike has been working with Small Businesses for years, he was a great fit to assist Michlin in learning how to practice better engagement via social media. Mike is a contributor to The Social Media Hat, an internet marketing and consulting company based in Saint Louis. Mike is a whiz when it comes to Drupal and was very helpful in answering a bunch of questions we had regarding website migration. I look forward to working directly with Mike in the near future.

Another G+ Influencer is +Ronnie Bincer. If you need ANYTHING Video, YouTube, either of those + SEO, this is the man. I was lucky enough to catch a couple HOAs before I participated in one, that featured Ronnie. He has been involved with YouTube for years and I am not kidding when I say he knows (almost) everything there is to know. He is a great resource for everything necessary to create, optimize & distribute quality video content. Check him out at http://www.videoleadsonline.com.

Google Plus is great but the problem is, there are TOO many great minds...I could keep writing all day but it's time to wrap this up. The bottom line is you get what you give. Though consistent engagement Michlin (and myself) have now created viable relationships with these great people. I am asked often if my time spent is worth the money it costs to keep me employed, this reaches back to the ROI on social media. My answer is that you don't plant seeds and expect to eat fresh vegetables the next day. It takes consistent care, the right conditions, constant monitoring and a ton of time but the end result is that you have a garden filled w/amazing fresh food that if done properly could feed you for a long while. It will not happen overnight, but if you work at it and build these relationships one at a time the odds are in your favor that business will come your way, you just have work long enough to capture it. If you made it this far, please, comment below. It would mean a ton and I hope you enjoyed reading this.

Michlin Metals is a Woman Owned Small BusinessAerospace Metal and Stainless Steel Distributor. Follow Michlin on Twitter @MichlinMetalsFacebookLinkedIn, Google+ or on the Web at www.michlinmetals.com. More on the author on Google+


No comments:

Post a Comment